Thursday, January 8, 2009

Another Day, Another Dollar

Tuesday, January 8, 2009
9:34 am

I'm back at work. The job is surprisingly fun and unmiserable. I am again working in an academic environment, only this time in a position slightly above what I did at Ryerson. There's a bit more freedom, and the fact that I'm new to a somewhat undefined position is likely quite beneficial. If I had stepped into an established position, it may well have been that I would have to walk an established path of crap. So this suits me well. There may be pit falls in the future, but I'll take my little pleasures now.

It's funny, I love beginnings. Beginnings are hopefully very clean, blank canvases upon which you draw the outlines of your expectations. As time passes, and you fill in the image, you hope that the process realizes the fullness of you vision. But things can get in the way, circumstances can change. Sometimes it seems like life bends you, and you end up mis-shapen and following a course not really charted by you, just one that you were pushed into by circumstance.

Okay, I'm meandering and mixing my metaphors. My point is that now things are good. I'm right where I want to be, and that sense of placement and control is just awesome. I don't know if it was entirely obvious, but I did go through a fair amount of upheaval preparing to move. I slugged it out in a job that was growing stale with a boss I didn't like (not that big a deal I suppose, really); I moved three times; and I was a fulltime student. It was all a lot of work and a lot of stress. But it made me a better person, more knowledgeable (though arguably useless knowledge) and more focused. What it really served to do was it allowed me to better understand what I’m capable of when I focus. I worked hard and earned my place in the here and now. It’s an awesome feeling.

I’m liking things a lot, right about now.

1 comment:

S. Brykczynski said...

I guess it's like a time for new beginnings.
(I had forgotten how much you like to use big words ;)
Miss you!